- Tell me a little about your family/child
Child is 6 years old and currently in kindergarten
- When and why did you start to notice a difference and seek support from an OT?
When he was 15-18 months old, we started to notice many changes in his development. His eating habits changed, and he was no longer eating a variety of different foods. He would also flap and spin multiple times throughout the day. When he was 18 months old, he was enrolled in Help Me Grow services until he was 3 years old. He was then referred to Galvin Therapy Center where he was evaluated for OT and feeding therapy.
- What are the most challenging aspects as the parents of a child with feeding challenges?
Our biggest challenge for him was regarding feeding. It was challenging to make sure he was not only eating enough throughout the day, but also making sure that he was getting the proper nutrients and vitamins that he needed. It was not easy to get him to try new foods.
- What have you found to be the most beneficial part of therapy? Biggest achievement?
The most beneficial part of his therapy is the dedicated staff that have worked with him over the last few years. He has made great progress and is improving so much. He is now eating a variety of healthy foods!
- What message would you like to share with other families considering OT?
If your child needs OT, the staff at Galvin Therapy Center strive to give children the very best therapy. They are truly amazing with these children. All children with special needs face many challenges, but yet they are also gifted in so many ways. The staff at Galvin Therapy Center help to bring light to their strengths, rather than defining the children by their challenges.